Sunday, May 25, 2014

Indianapolis in May, Part 2 (USSBC Report)



First, I wish to apologize for being somewhat tardy in producing part 2 of my analysis of this year's activities at Indianapolis. Earlier today, while working on my pool (or attempting to,) I tweaked my surgically repaired left wrist, leaving it very sore, and me unable to type. Now, with the aid of a bevy of muscle relaxers and a painkiller or two, I'm going to try and give you the "skinny" on who should prevail in today's Indianapolis 500.

After last year's 68 lead change, record speed race, this year's model looks pretty tough to handicap. Why? Simply because no one wants to lead, as leading makes you a sitting duck. As we've seen in practice and qualifications this field is CLOSE. Given the huge number of cars and drivers who are within less than a mile an hour of each other, there are probably 20 drivers who could realistically win, given the right set of circumstances.

So, I'm going to revert to consulting the odds to give me the "value plays" for this year's event. Team Penske has three entries in the top 10, with Will Power on the outside of the front row, Helio Castroneves on the inside of row 2, and Juan Pablo Montoya on the inside of row 4. This is where it starts to get really strange: Power, the strongest of the Penske trio is the only one of the three who is a reasonable value at 10-1. (Montoya is 7-1 and Castroneves is 5-1.) Given that, the only play I can recommend on Team Penske is Power, and if Helio or J.P. win it, well, that's why they call it gambling.

The second "super" team, team Ganassi, was strangely absent from the top of the speed charts for most of the month. That "most" ended abruptly on Pole Day as Scott Dixon and Tony Kanaan found some speed that they'd been lacking all month. Still, neither car made the "Fast Nine," so Dixie starts from the middle of row 4, and defending champion Kanaan goes from the inside of row 6. Their improvement carried into Friday's Carb Day practice session, where Kanaan and Dixon topped the speed charts. (Ganassi's "B team" of Charlie Kimball and Ryan Briscoe did not fare as well and they're buried back in rows 9 and 10 respectively.)

For the Target cars, this is eerily reminiscent of 2012, when both Dixon and his then-teammate Dario Franchitti struggled most of the month but woke up on Carb Day, with Franchitti grabbing the big cash on race day. With that thought in mind, and the two Target cars each at 10-1, I'm inclined to recommend either or both.

The other "super team," Andretti Autosport, leads with James Hinchcliffe (10-1) starting in the middle of row 1, Marco Andretti (6-1) on the outside of row 2, last year's rookie sensation Carlos Munoz (9-1) inside row 3, NASCAR regular Kurt Busch (20-1) outside row 4, and former series champ Ryan Hunter Reay (10-1) inside row 7. Of these, only Hinchcliffe and Busch interest me, and I'd probably take a run on Hinch.

The Pole sitter, Ed Carpenter is 8-1, but with soooo many potential winners, I'm limiting my selections to those who are 10-1 or higher.

If you want a little more of a "flyer," consider the following two: Josef Newgarden (25-1) or Townsend Bell at a stunning 100-1. Newgarden, in the middle of row 3 has been very happy with his car all month, and this young man just may be on the threshold of greatness. And for a purely "spec" play you can't  much miss. Bell has a habit of moving forward steadily and you can't ignore the potential payout for a veteran who always seems to squeeze the max out of his equipment.

All that being said, my two primary selections are Kanaan and Dixon. I can't say it would hurt my feelings if TK brought it home for a second year in a row, even though I've never been a huge fan of Chip Ganassi.

Weather for the race should be great, sunny and about 80 degrees.

Please take a moment aside from your holiday festivities to remember the reason we celebrate Memorial Day. My wife and I are planning a relaxing day by the pool listening to Paul Page on the radio broadcast of the race. (I'll take in the TV broadcast via DVR later.) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment