Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Heeee's Baaaackk!

After an eleven month hiatus of introspection, I am returning to the blogosphere. It's been a long, strange almost-year. Since I last posted, I have begun a journey into sobriety. That's probably one road I should follow for the rest of my life. I make no promises on that score. Nor do I know what effect my lack of liquid inspiration will have on my writing.

But then, this is going to be an exciting time.

In the matter of a few short weeks, I'll be visiting two places that are very important to me: Culver and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. As it happens, my 40th class reunion at Culver Military Academy (CMA) and the 100th anniversary of the Indianapolis 500 fall on successive weekends this year. So, my wife (and Culver classmate) and I are making it our vacation this year with a visit with friends and family in between.


In addition to blogging about the Indy 500 and the run up to the 100th Anniversary race, I'll probably be posting about our journey back to the alma mater.


Interestingly enough, Culver and the Speedway are linked in my life. During our senior year at the Academy, those of us in the Class of '71 had an optional trip to the Indianapolis 500. I had been to time trials the previous two years, but this was my first trip to the Race.


As I recall, there were two busloads of cadets that descended on Indy in 1971. Just a few things stick out in my head.


First, my roommate and I walked up to the ticket window and bought seats in Tower Terrace. Until that time, I had thought that an impossibility, but there we were: about halfway up in the center pit area. That year, a local car dealer, Eldon Palmer, drove the Official Pace Car right down through the pit area to start the 1971 500. Unfortunately, Eldon liked driving that car (a Dodge, as Eldon was the owner of Palmer Dodge in Indianapolis,) so much, he drove it right through (what was then) Victory Lane and into a stand of fans at the South End of the pits. Mayhem ensued.


After that inauspicious beginning, we were treated to a superb performance by Al Unser (Sr.) in the Johnny Lightning Special, a purple and gold creaton that had fast written all over it. Unser won his second consecutive 500 that day. That was no small accomplishment, as prior to Unser's win that day, there had only been three drivers who had won back-to-back. To this day, there are only five members of that club: Wilbur Shaw, Mauri Rose, Bill Vukovich, Unser, and Helio Castroneves.


The other thing that was noteworthy about that day was the fact that while my roommate and I had been watching the race, it was apparent that several of our classmates had been, let's just say, watching "other things" while being over-served. If memory serves, some fellow named "Ralph" was called. I don't believe he answered. I won't mention any names: After all, it WAS 40 years ago. (Besides, too many people have lawyers on speed dial and, frankly, some of those participants are lawyers now.)


Since that day, Race Day has been an integral part of my life. Between that day and 1987, I missed 3 Indy 500's. In 1972 I was in college in Atlanta; in 1981 I was living in Michigan City and couldn't get enough time off of work; and, in 1986 work intervened again. After 1987, work pretty much kept me away from Indy.

During my years of going to the 500, I sat in almost every corner of the track, from the Snakepit (the ORIGINAL one,) to the vistas in three different corners, to the main straightaway paddock, (where my wife and I will be this year.) I saw Foyt win his fourth, Danny Sullivan spin right in front of me and go on to win the Race, Tom Sneva's car get absolutely destroyed in turn 2, and then, a few years later, win the 500. I saw Rick Mears win his first of four and Al Unser win his last of four.

After I moved to South Carolina in 1990, the Race wasn't even close to do-able anymore.

Besides, it seemed so much simpler sitting in the recliner, drinking something other than beer if I chose. It was also nice to eat something other than stale Kentucky Fried Chicken. Most important, it was nice to have a bathroom to which I didn't have to walk more than a few feet, was private, and did not stink. Besides, with the broadcast going live outside the greater Indianapolis area, I could see it all, pretty much as it happened, something you could never do from anywhere at the Speedway. (I am told, however, that the video boards they have now come pretty close.)

This is a special year, however, and I didn't feel like I could miss it. In addition to being my first trip to Indy in 24 years, it'll be my first trip to the Speedway completely sober since that day in May of 1971. (Believe me, there are a lot of stories in all those trips to 16th and Georgetown, and perhaps, I'll share some sometime.) That, in and of itself, should be different.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment